A few weeks ago, the HERE Developer Relations team participated in the AWS re:Invent Alexa Hack Day in Las Vegas, where we built an Alexa country challenge game.
The game was pretty straightforward: using Alexa Presentation Language, our skill would present a map with a country highlighted on an Alexa device with a screen. The player of the game would then take a guess at the country's name from a list of multiple choice options.
That's where the HERE Map Image API comes in. The Map Image API is RESTful API enabling the creation of customized maps--all returned in your favorite image format.
The Map Image API isn't limited to just a normal map at any location around the globe. Here are some examples of things you can customize:
- map theme (satellite, dark, light, terrain, etc.)
- image size and format
- overlays with custom data (markers, points, polylines, and polygons)
Since the Map Image API returns images, you can get pretty creative on where you can insert them:
- Chatbots. Don't just provide directions text from our Routing API, also throw in an image of the route.
- Alexa devices with screens (like us during the Alexa Hack Day).
- Automated emails. Ridesharing company? Provide a map of the route your customer took in the receipt email.
Let's take a look at some examples.