About this Edition
The HERE SDK for Android (Navigate Edition) features the HERE Rendering Engine that offers visually appealing true 3D maps and a smooth map experience that is highly customizable. In comparison to the Explore Edition, the Navigate Edition provides additional premium features such as turn-by-turn navigation, offline maps, HERE positioning, or private indoor maps.
At the time of writing, version 184.108.40.206 is the latest release of the HERE SDK for Android (Navigate Edition), which includes:
| Mapping || |
- Latest map data from the HERE platform for more than 190 countries with weekly map updates.
- Resource-friendly vector tile map rendering.
- 2D / 3D rendering including extruded buildings, carto POIs and more.
- Highly customizable map styles, including predefined styles such as normal street map and satellite map.
- Support for all common map interactions and gestures (including pan, flick, and pinch zoom).
- Pickable overlay objects on the map such as polylines, polygons, circles, arrows, images, and routes.
- Attachable native Android views as map pins.
- Highly customizable 2D and 3D map marker support (including anchor points and metadata).
- Metadata support for map items (for example, to identify search results on the map).
- Advanced positioning capabilities to find your current location.
- Indoor maps: Interactive private venue maps for building owners.
- Truck restrictions: Enable instant layers to indicate vehicle restrictions on the map.
- Preloaded map data for offline use (Beta). Available for continents and countries world-wide.
| Search || |
- Search through a broad set of geographical content across the globe (including streets, address points, categories, and places).
- Search the vast HERE database by Place ID.
- Request search results filtered by country in your preferred language.
- Access localized details for a Point of Interest (POI).
- Enhance the search experience with auto suggestions.
- Perform geocoding and reverse geocoding lookups.
- Search along a route.
- Search offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- All address details are already localized and can be accessed in various languages.
| Traffic || |
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic flows on the map.
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic incidents on the map.
| Directions || |
- Online car routes.
- Online taxi routes.
- Online pedestrian routes.
- Online truck routes with highly customizable truck options.
- Online public transit routes with highly customizable transit options.
- Online routes for electric vehicles to find the nearest charging stations (based on the calculated energy consumption and battery specifications).
- Online scooter routes.
- Specify preferred route type (fastest or shortest) and route options (such as speed profiles, route restrictions, vignette options, and more).
- Calculate traffic-aware routes indicating potential traffic delay times, as well as traffic-optimized routes to avoid traffic.
- Get traffic flow information along the individual sections of a route.
- Customizable route shapes utilizing different types of waypoints.
- Localized maneuver instructions are available for each route.
- Alternative routes.
- Calculate routes offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- Generate isolines to represent the area of reach from a given point based on time, distance or fuel consumption.
| Navigation || |
- Turn-by-turn navigation to get detailed maneuver instructions while traveling along a route.
- Receive guidance support even without following a predefined route (tracking).
- Offline turn-by-turn navigation and offline tracking on already cached or downloaded offline map data.
- Ready-to-use voice instructions for more than 37 languages.
- Real-time progress information until the destination is reached.
- Support for adjustable speed warnings.
- Notifications when passing all relevant waypoints.
- Lane assistance (Beta).
- Notifications for speed and safety cameras ahead.
- Support for visual navigation including preconfigured 3D location arrow and automatic map orientation updates.
- A built-in location simulator to test any route during development phase.
- Support for GPX tracks.
- The minimum API level supported by the HERE SDK for Android is API 21, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), which allows you to reach more than approximately 90% of all Android devices on the market.
- Java and Kotlin are both supported. The HERE SDK provides Java interfaces, thus the examples are given in Java, but can be converted to Kotlin seamlessly if you prefer.
- The HERE SDK supports AndroidX, but it is not a requirement. You can still use the original Android Support Library.
- The accompanying example apps require Android Studio Arctic Fox | 2020.3.1 or higher.
- For minimum and recommended device hardware specifications, please check the section below.
- The HERE SDK for Android supports Android 32-bit devices with x86 or ARMv7 architecture and 64-bit devices with x86_64 or ARM64/v8 architecture.
- Additional requirements:
- Support for OpenGL ES 3.0 or higher (applies also to emulators).
- Minimum supported hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 1 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size.
- GPU: All GPUs that support OpenGL ES 3.0.
- Recommended hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 3 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size plus 256 MB to cache map data (plus enough free disk space to operate the device in general).
- GPU: We recommend at least an Adreno 4xx, Mali T7x or G7x graphics processing unit or newer.
Devices that meet the minimum supported hardware specifications will install an app made with the HERE SDK, but the user experience may be poor due to a lower frame rate when interacting with the map. Devices that meet the recommeded hardware specifications guarantee a smooth map experience.
Where to Start?
If you are interested in building your first app showing a HERE map, have a look at our Get Started section to guide you through the first simple steps.
Please contact us to receive access including a set of evaluation credentials. For now, the Navigate Edition is only available upon request. The HERE SDK package for the Navigate Edition is available on the HERE platform portal. The package includes the Android library (the HERE SDK binary to include in your app(s)). Note: You may need to register your email to get access to the HERE platform portal. Please ask your HERE representative for details.
A quick overview of the main concepts and conventions can be found here.
- In the examples section, you can find the links to our example applications that accompany this user guide.
- The API Reference can be found in your downloaded SDK package or on developer.here.com.
- If you are planning to migrate your app from another HERE SDK edition to the Navigate Edition, consult the Migration Guide.
- Choose a plan: For now, the Navigate Edition is only available upon request. Please contact us for more details.
For errors or suggestions related to this documentation, please open an issue on GitHub.
The use of the HERE SDK for Android is governed by the terms and conditions which you have accepted separately, either when signing up via the developer.here.com portal or otherwise executing an agreement with HERE. For your use of the documentation presented on this website, these terms apply.
In addition to the above terms, the following shall apply: Components of the HERE SDK for Android collect certain information from your application. Such information includes access credentials (
Open Source Software Notices
If you use the HERE SDK for Android in your application, you must embed the HERE copyright and various open source software licenses or link to a copy hosted on your project's webspace. You can find a copy of these licenses in the HERE_NOTICE file, which is included in your HERE SDK package.