About this Edition
The HERE SDK for Flutter (Explore Edition), version 126.96.36.199, features the HERE Rendering Engine that offers visually appealing true 3D maps and a smooth map experience that is highly customizable. In comparison to the Navigate Edition, the Explore Edition does not provide additional premium features such as turn-by-turn navigation, offline maps, HERE positioning, or private indoor maps.
At the time of writing, version 188.8.131.52 is the latest release of the HERE SDK for Flutter (Explore Edition), which includes:
| Mapping || |
- Latest map data from the HERE platform for more than 190 countries with weekly map updates.
- Resource-friendly vector tile map rendering.
- 2D / 3D rendering including extruded buildings, carto POIs and more.
- Highly customizable map styles, including predefined styles such as normal street map and satellite map.
- Support for custom raster layers from external sources.
- Support for all common map interactions and gestures (including pan, flick, and pinch zoom).
- Pickable overlay objects on the map such as polylines, polygons, circles, arrows, images, and routes.
- Pickable preconfigured and embedded POI objects (carto POIs) on the map such as public transit stations, restaurants, ATMs and other facilities.
- Attachable native Flutter widgets as map pin.
- Highly customizable 2D and 3D map marker support (including anchor points, metadata and clustering).
- Metadata support for map items (for example, to identify search results on the map).
| Search || |
- Search through a broad set of geographical content across the globe (including streets, address points, categories, and places).
- Search the vast HERE database by Place ID.
- Request search results filtered by country in your preferred language.
- Access localized details for a Point of Interest (POI).
- Enhance the search experience with auto suggestions.
- Perform geocoding and reverse geocoding lookups.
- Search along a route.
- All address details are already localized and can be accessed in various languages.
| Traffic || |
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic flows on the map.
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic incidents on the map.
- Query detailed and localizable information on local traffic incidents such as accidents, construction works, road closures, and more.
- Search for traffic along a route.
| Directions || |
- Online car routes.
- Online truck routes with highly customizable truck options.
- Online taxi routes.
- Online pedestrian routes.
- Online bicycle routes.
- Online public transit routes with highly customizable transit options.
- Online routes for electric vehicles to find the nearest charging stations (based on the calculated energy consumption and battery specifications).
- Online scooter routes.
- Specify preferred route type (fastest or shortest) and route options (such as speed profiles, route restrictions, vignette options, and more).
- Calculate traffic-aware routes indicating potential traffic delay times, as well as traffic-optimized routes to avoid traffic.
- Get traffic flow information along the individual sections of a route.
- Get possible toll costs along the individual sections of a route (Beta).
- Customizable route shapes utilizing different types of waypoints.
- Localized maneuver instructions are available for each route.
- Alternative routes.
- Import routes from other APIs and vendors.
The HERE SDK for Flutter enables you to write apps for Android and iOS. Make sure to meet the minimum requirements for each platform as listed below. Note that the HERE SDK for Flutter does not support web and desktop apps.
- The minimum supported Flutter version is 2.8.0. The latest stable Flutter version that works with the HERE SDK is 2.10.2.
- The minimum supported Dart version is 2.15.0. The latest stable Dart version that works with the HERE SDK is 2.16.1.
Other versions may also work, but are not guaranteed to work. As of now, only the stable Flutter channel is supported.
It is recommended to use the Dart version that is bundled with Flutter.
The HERE SDK plugin uses
ffi: >=1.0.0 <=1.1.2, see also the
pubspec.yaml file inside the plugin folder. This may lead to incompatibilities with plugins from other vendors that use a different Dart FFI version that lies outside this range.
Null safety is supported by default. It can be optionally disabled, by adding the following comment on top of any Dart file:
For minimum and recommended device hardware specifications, please check the devices section below.
- The minimum Android API level supported by the HERE SDK for Flutter is API 21, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), which allows you to reach more than approximately 90% of all Android devices on the market.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports iOS 12.4 and iPadOS or higher.
- Only simulators running iOS 13.0 or higher are supported.
- As an absolute minimum for development, you must use macOS macOS Catalina, Xcode 12.4, Swift 5.3.2 and CocoaPods 1.10 - or higher.
The HERE SDK for Flutter enables you to write apps for Android and iOS devices. Make sure to compare your target devices to the supported devices for each platform as listed below.
Most devices that are from 2015 or newer are supported. Only in rare rases such devices may not work - for example, when they do not meet the minimum device specifications (see below). Devices that are older than 2015 may still work, but are not guaranteed to work.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports Android 32-bit devices with x86 or ARMv7 architecture and 64-bit devices with x86_64 or ARM64/v8 architecture.
- Additional requirements:
- Support for OpenGL ES 3.0 or higher (applies also to emulators).
- Minimum supported hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 1 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size (plus enough free disk space to operate the device in general).
- GPU: All GPUs that support OpenGL ES 3.0.
- Recommended hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 3 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size plus 256 MB to cache map data (plus enough free disk space to operate the device in general).
- GPU: We recommend at least an Adreno 4xx, Mali T7x or G7x graphics processing unit or newer.
Devices that meet the minimum supported hardware specifications will install an app made with the HERE SDK, but the user experience may be poor due to a lower frame rate when interacting with the map. Devices that meet the recommeded hardware specifications guarantee a smooth map experience.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports iOS ARM64 / 64-bit architectures incorporating Apple's A7 chip or newer. This means that all iOS devices starting from the iPhone 5s (which was released in 2013) are supported as all these devices contain sufficient RAM and CPU/GPU power.
- The x86_64 and simulator-arm64 architecture is supported for simulators. Therefore, this includes M1 and non-M1 machines.
- It is recommended to allow at least 60 MB disk space for the uncompressed installation size of an app plus 256 MB to cache map data on the disk.
Where to Start?
If you are interested in building your first app showing a HERE map, have a look at our Get Started section to guide you through the first simple steps.
Register or sign in at developer.here.com to get your credentials and to download the Flutter plugin (the HERE SDK binary bundle to include in your app(s)).
- In the examples section, you can find the links to our example applications that accompany this user guide.
- The API Reference can be found in your downloaded SDK package or on developer.here.com.
- Choose a plan: You can freely start using the HERE SDK with the Freemium plan. An overview of the available plans can be found on the pricing page. More details on the plans can be found in our FAQs.
For errors or suggestions related to this documentation, please open an issue on GitHub.
Legal and Privacy Requirements
The use of the HERE SDK for Flutter is governed by the terms and conditions which you have accepted separately, either when signing up via the developer.here.com portal or otherwise executing an agreement with HERE. For your use of the documentation presented on this website, these terms apply.
In addition to the above terms, the following shall apply: Components of the HERE SDK for Flutter collect certain information from your application. Such information includes access credentials (
Open Source Software Notices
If you use the HERE SDK for Flutter in your application, you must embed the HERE copyright and various open source software licenses or link to a copy hosted on your project's webspace. You can find a copy of these licenses in the HERE_NOTICE file, which is included in your HERE SDK package.