About this Edition
The HERE SDK for Flutter (Navigate Edition), version 188.8.131.52, features the HERE Rendering Engine that offers visually appealing true 3D maps and a smooth map experience that is highly customizable. In comparison to the Explore Edition, the Navigate Edition provides additional premium features such as turn-by-turn navigation, offline maps, HERE positioning, or private indoor maps.
At the time of writing, version 184.108.40.206 is the latest release of the HERE SDK for Flutter (Navigate Edition), which includes:
| Mapping || |
- Latest map data from the HERE platform for more than 190 countries with weekly map updates.
- Resource-friendly vector tile map rendering.
- 2D / 3D rendering including extruded buildings, carto POIs and more.
- Highly customizable map styles, including predefined styles such as normal street map and satellite map.
- Support for all common map interactions and gestures (including pan, flick, and pinch zoom).
- Pickable overlay objects on the map such as polylines, polygons, circles, arrows, images, and routes.
- Attachable native Flutter widgets as map pin.
- Highly customizable 2D and 3D map marker support (including anchor points and metadata).
- Metadata support for map items (for example, to identify search results on the map).
- Advanced positioning capabilities to find your current location.
- Indoor maps: Interactive private venue maps for building owners.
- Truck restrictions: Enable instant layers to indicate vehicle restrictions on the map.
- Preloaded map data for offline use (Beta). Available for continents and countries world-wide.
| Search || |
- Search through a broad set of geographical content across the globe (including streets, address points, categories, and places).
- Search the vast HERE database by Place ID.
- Request search results filtered by country in your preferred language.
- Access localized details for a Point of Interest (POI).
- Enhance the search experience with auto suggestions.
- Perform geocoding and reverse geocoding lookups.
- Search along a route.
- Search offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- All address details are already localized and can be accessed in various languages.
| Traffic || |
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic flows on the map.
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic incidents on the map.
| Directions || |
- Online car routes.
- Online taxi routes.
- Online pedestrian routes.
- Online truck routes with highly customizable truck options.
- Online public transit routes with highly customizable transit options.
- Online routes for electric vehicles to find the nearest charging stations (based on the calculated energy consumption and battery specifications).
- Online scooter routes.
- Specify preferred route type (fastest or shortest) and route options (such as speed profiles, route restrictions, vignette options, and more).
- Calculate traffic-aware routes indicating potential traffic delay times, as well as traffic-optimized routes to avoid traffic.
- Get traffic flow information along the individual sections of a route.
- Customizable route shapes utilizing different types of waypoints.
- Localized maneuver instructions are available for each route.
- Alternative routes.
- Calculate routes offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- Generate isolines to represent the area of reach from a given point based on time, distance or fuel consumption.
| Navigation || |
- Turn-by-turn navigation to get detailed maneuver instructions while traveling along a route.
- Receive guidance support even without following a predefined route (tracking).
- Offline turn-by-turn navigation and offline tracking on already cached or downloaded offline map data.
- Ready-to-use voice instructions for more than 35 languages.
- Real-time progress information until the destination is reached.
- Support for adjustable speed warnings.
- Notifications when passing all relevant waypoints.
- Lane assistance (Beta).
- Notifications for speed and safety cameras ahead.
- Support for visual navigation including preconfigured 3D location arrow and automatic map orientation updates.
- A built-in location simulator to test any route during development phase.
- Support for GPX tracks.
The HERE SDK for Flutter enables you to write apps for Android and iOS. Make sure to meet the minimum requirements for each platform as listed below. Note that the HERE SDK for Flutter does not support web and desktop apps.
- The minimum supported Flutter version is 1.22.0. The latest stable Flutter version that works with the HERE SDK is 2.0.2.
- The minimum supported Dart version is 2.10.0. The latest stable Dart version that works with the HERE SDK is 2.12.1.
Other versions may also work, but are not guaranteed to work. As of now, only the stable Flutter channel is supported. The examples in this guide are made with Flutter 1.22.5, but will also work with 1.22.0.
The HERE SDK is not compatible with Flutter 2.2.0 or higher - as the HERE SDK does not yet support FFI 1.0 until v4.8.0 (see below).
It is recommended to use the Dart version that is bundled with Flutter.
Only the following Android Gradle Plugin versions 3.3.3, 3.4.2, 3.5.4, 3.6.4, 4.0.1 or higher are supported - since internally the tag is required for the internal
AndroidManifest file used by the HERE SDK. In case of doubt, you can check the version in
your_app/android/build.gradle and check the version set for
com.android.tools.build:gradle. Newer projects created by your IDE of choice already use such a version, by default.
The HERE SDK plugin uses
ffi: ^0.1.3, see also the
pubspec.yaml file inside the plugin folder. This may lead to incompatibilities with plugins from other vendors that use a different Dart FFI version.
- Important note: It is planned to support FFI 1.0 and raise the minimum supported Flutter and Dart version to Flutter 2.0 and Dart 2.12 with the upcoming major release v4.8.0. In addition, we plan to introduce support for null safety. Null safety can be optionally disabled.
For minimum and recommended device hardware specifications, please check the devices section below.
- The minimum Android API level supported by the HERE SDK for Flutter is API 21, Android 5.0 (Lollipop), which allows you to reach more than approximately 90% of all Android devices on the market.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports iOS 12.4 and iPadOS or higher.
- Only simulators running iOS 13.0 or higher are supported.
- As an absolute minimum for development, you must use macOS Catalina, Xcode 11.3, Swift 5.1.2 and CocoaPods 1.10.
The HERE SDK for Flutter enables you to write apps for Android and iOS devices. Make sure to compare your target devices to the supported devices for each platform as listed below.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports Android 32-bit devices with x86 or ARMv7 architecture and 64-bit devices with x86_64 or ARM64/v8 architecture.
- Additional requirements:
- Support for OpenGL ES 3.0 or higher (applies also to emulators).
- Minimum supported hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 1 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size (plus enough free disk space to operate the device in general).
- GPU: All GPUs that support OpenGL ES 3.0.
- Recommended hardware specifications:
- RAM: At least 3 GB memory.
- ROM: At least 60 MB free disk space for the uncompressed installation size plus 256 MB to cache map data (plus enough free disk space to operate the device in general).
- GPU: We recommend at least an Adreno 4xx, Mali T7x or G7x graphics processing unit or newer.
Devices that meet the minimum supported hardware specifications will install an app made with the HERE SDK, but the user experience may be poor due to a lower frame rate when interacting with the map. Devices that meet the recommeded hardware specifications guarantee a smooth map experience.
- The HERE SDK for Flutter supports iOS ARM64 / 64-bit architectures incorporating Apple's A7 chip or newer. This means that all iOS devices starting from the iPhone 5s (which was released in 2013) are supported.
- The x86_64 architecture is supported for simulators. Note: When running macOS Big Sur on M1 chips, then the simulator support may be limited. A possible workaround can be to exclude the arm64 architecture for "Any iOS Simulator SDK" in the
Build Settings/Architectures/Excluded Architectures/Debug setting within Xcode.
- It is recommended to allow at least 60 MB disk space for the uncompressed installation size of an app plus 256 MB to cache map data on the disk.
Where to Start?
If you are interested in building your first app showing a HERE map, have a look at our Get Started section to guide you through the first simple steps.
Please contact us to receive access including a set of evaluation credentials. For now, the Navigate Edition is only available upon request. The HERE SDK package for the Navigate Edition is available on the HERE platform portal. The package includes the plugin to include in your app(s). Note: You may need to register your email to get access to the HERE platform portal. Please ask your HERE representative for details.
- In the examples section, you can find the links to our example applications that accompany this user guide.
- The API Reference can be found in your downloaded SDK package or on developer.here.com.
- Choose a plan: For now, the Navigate Edition is only available upon request. Please contact us for more details.
For errors or suggestions related to this documentation, please open an issue on GitHub.
The use of the HERE SDK for Flutter is governed by the terms and conditions which you have accepted separately, either when signing up via the developer.here.com portal or otherwise executing an agreement with HERE. For your use of the documentation presented on this website, these terms apply.
In addition to the above terms, the following shall apply: Components of the HERE SDK for Flutter collect certain information from your application. Such information includes access credentials (
Open Source Software Notices
If you use the HERE SDK for Flutter in your application, you must embed the HERE copyright and various open source software licenses or link to a copy hosted on your project's webspace. You can find a copy of these licenses in the HERE_NOTICE file, which is included in your HERE SDK package.