Advanced Positioning by HERE
- High accuracy indoor positioning with building and floor detection using Bluetooth radio
- Automatic, on-demand download of radio positioning data (radiomaps) for positioning without network connection (offline)
- Automatic positioning method switching between satellite-based (Global Navigation Satellite System, GNSS) and Bluetooth positioning, providing the best possible position information using the available position methods
- HERE Indoor Positioning supports both private and public data. You can have a private venue that is mapped through HERE Private Venues or your own custom indoor map, with the indoor location information being only available for your applications. In contrast, indoor location information for public venues is available for all HERE SDK users with an appropriate license.
- Global data hosting infrastructure for the optimal availability, reliability and user experience
HERE Positioning Feature Groups
- Public Indoor - This feature group provides high accuracy indoor positioning for public venues from which indoor Bluetooth radio data has been collected using the HERE Indoor Radio Mapper tool. The feature uses HERE Indoor Positioning community radiomap that is accessible by all the HERE iOS SDK users having access to this feature. Further details can be found in the HERE Indoor Positioning Installation Guide.
- Private Indoor - This feature group provides high accuracy indoor positioning for private venues from which indoor Bluetooth radio data has been collected using the HERE Indoor Radio Mapper tool. In contrast to the Public Indoor feature, the Private Indoor feature provides indoor positioning capability that is accessible only by the owner of the positioning data. You can find further details in the HERE Indoor Positioning Installation Guide.
HERE Indoor Positioning (private and public) works by utilizing downloaded positioning assistance data, such as radiomaps, for the position estimation within the device. Network connectivity is only required for the radiomap download after which no connectivity is needed unless further radiomap tiles are needed.
Radiomap download is handled by the on-demand downloader, which automatically downloads radiomap tiles in the vicinity of the device. The downloader also maintains radiomaps on the device by updating the radiomap tiles at regular intervals as needed, and by removing the oldest radiomap tiles when the radiomap tiles exceed the storage quota. This quota is configured as speficied in the table below. The table also shows how often the HERE iOS SDK attempts to update the radiomaps.
|Indoor Bluetooth||32MB||7 days||Contains high accuracy radiomaps for indoor Bluetooth positioning|
Using HERE Positioning
To start using HERE Positioning in your iOS applications, perform the following steps:
- Find the Capabilities tab in the Xcode project settings and enable Background Modes for Location Updates and Uses Bluetooth LE accessories
- Declare Private Data Access and App Transport Security exceptions by updating
Info.plistof the app. See App Submission Requirements for more details.
- After completing the previous configuration steps, you can change the positioning manager data source to HERE Positioning with the following code:
NMAPositioningManager.sharedPositioningManager.dataSource = [[NMAHEREPositionSource alloc] init];
Running HERE Positioning in backgound
Moreover, ensure that your
Info.plisthas the following attributes:
<key>NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription</key> <string>Location information is needed to use this application</string> <key>NSLocationWhenInUseUsageDescription</key> <string>Location information is needed to use this application</string> <key>NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription</key> <string>Location information is needed to use this application</string> <key>NSMotionUsageDescription</key> <string>This is needed for bluetooth based indoor positioning</string> <key>UIBackgroundModes</key> <array> <string>bluetooth-central</string> <string>location</string> </array>
Indoor Positioning Mode
The indoor positioning mode refers to the set of radiomaps used by the indoor positioning engine. For detailed discussion on the different radiomaps, please refer to HERE Indoor Positioning Installation Guide.
Indoor positioning can be configured to run in four different modes, which are defined by the
NMAIndoorPositioningMode enumeration. Use the property
indoorPositioningMode on the
NMAHEREPositionSource interface to change the indoor positioning mode. You can use the same propertyto check the current mode.
The following table introduces the four indoor positioning modes.
| ||HERE Positioning automatically chooses which mode to apply. Requires that the SDK license has both public and private indoor positioning features enabled. If both features are enabled in the SDK license, then this positioning mode is set as the default.|
| ||Community indoor radiomap is used by the indoor positioning engine. Requires a SDK license with the public indoor positioning feature enabled. If only the public indoor positioning feature is enabled in the SDK license, then this indoor positioning mode is set as the default.|
| ||A private indoor radiomap is used by the indoor positioning engine. Requires a SDK license with the private indoor positioning feature enabled. If only the private indoor positioning feature is enabled in the SDK license, then this indoor positioning mode is set as the default.|
Indoor Positioning-specific Properties
HERE Positioning has three indoor positioning-specific properties in
Contains the building name, if known. If the building name is not present or unknown, it is set as
For HERE Venue Maps the building name is assigned by HERE, when creating the Venue Map.
For custom indoor maps, the building name is the one given when the indoor map was imported using HERE Indoor Radio Mapper. However, illegal characters are removed from the name.
Contains the building ID, if known. If the building ID is not present or unknown, it is set as
For HERE Venue Maps, the building ID is the globally unique ID assigned by HERE, when creating the Venue Map. An example of a HERE Venue Map building ID is
For custom indoor maps, the building ID is the user-defined
buildingName, prefixed with "
If the position estimate is outdoors, but indoor positioning is used for producing the location estimate, the building ID string is populated as
Contains the floor level information. If the floor ID is unknown or not present, it is set as
For HERE Venue Maps, the floor levels are returned as defined for the particular HERE Venue Map.
For the custom indoor maps, the floor level follows the floor levels specified in HERE Indoor Radio Mapper when the indoor maps were imported.
Troubleshooting HERE Positioning
If your application does not receive any position updates while using HERE Positioning, try the following:
- Check that the application has Capabilities set in Xcode, as defined in this document. See Using HERE Positioning.
- Check that the application has Private User Data Access declarations set in Xcode, as defined in this document. See Using HERE Positioning.
- Make sure that the relevant network settings are enabled:
- Go to the device Settings and check that Bluetooth is enabled
- Go to Settings and check from the application settings that Location Access is set to Always and that Motion and Fitness and Mobile Data access is enabled.
- Make sure that the device has a network connection
- Make sure the indoor positioning mode is set correctly
If your application receives inaccurate position estimates while using HERE Positioning, try the following:
- Make sure that the location estimates originate from the indoor positioning engine by checking the position source through the source property in