About this Edition
The HERE SDK for iOS (Navigate Edition) features the HERE Rendering Engine that offers visually appealing true 3D maps and a smooth map experience that is highly customizable. In comparison to the Explore Edition, the Navigate Edition provides additional premium features such as turn-by-turn navigation, offline maps, HERE positioning, or private indoor maps.
At the time of writing, version 220.127.116.11 is the latest release of the HERE SDK for iOS (Navigate Edition), which includes:
| Mapping || |
- Latest map data from the HERE platform for more than 190 countries with weekly map updates.
- Resource-friendly vector tile map rendering.
- 2D / 3D rendering including extruded buildings, carto POIs and more.
- Highly customizable map styles, including predefined styles such as normal street map and satellite map.
- Support for custom raster layers from external sources.
- Support for all common map interactions and gestures (including pan, flick, and pinch zoom).
- Pickable overlay objects on the map such as polylines, polygons, circles, arrows, images, and routes.
- Pickable preconfigured and embedded POI objects (carto POIs) on the map such as public transit stations, restaurants, ATMs and other facilities.
- Attachable native iOS views as map pins.
- Highly customizable 2D and 3D map marker support (including anchor points, metadata and clustering).
- Animation support for 2D map markers.
- Metadata support for map items (for example, to identify search results on the map).
- Support for geopolitical views and disputed borders (beta).
- Support for textured 3D landmarks.
- Support for mercator and globe projection.
- Advanced positioning capabilities to find your current location.
- Indoor maps: Interactive private venue maps for building owners.
- Truck restrictions: Instant vehicle restriction visualization on the map.
- Preloaded map data for offline use (Beta). Available for continents and countries world-wide.
- Support for feature configurations to minimize the amount of downloaded map data.
| Search || |
- Search through a broad set of geographical content across the globe (including streets, address points, categories, and places).
- Search the vast HERE database by Place ID.
- Request search results filtered by country in your preferred language.
- Access localized details for a Point of Interest (POI).
- Enhance the search experience with auto suggestions.
- Perform geocoding and reverse geocoding lookups.
- Search along a route.
- Bring your own data (BYOD) to search for your places at runtime.
- Search offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- All address details are already localized and can be accessed in various languages.
| Traffic || |
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic flows on the map.
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic incidents on the map.
- Query detailed and localizable information on local traffic incidents such as accidents, construction works, road closures, and more.
- Search for traffic along a route.
- Utilize traffic information from radio stations using special hardware via traffic broadcasts.
| Directions || |
- Car routes: Supported online & offline.
- Truck routes: Supported online & offline with highly customizable truck options.
- Routes for electric vehicles: Supported online only to find the nearest charging stations (based on the calculated energy consumption and battery specifications).
- Taxi routes: Supported online only.
- Pedestrian routes: Supported online & offline.
- Bicycle routes: Supported online & offline.
- Public transit routes: Supported online only with highly customizable transit options.
- Scooter routes: Supported online & offline.
- Bus routes: Supported online & offline.
- Specify preferred route type (fastest or shortest) and route options (such as speed profiles, route restrictions, vignette options, and more).
- Calculate traffic-aware routes indicating potential traffic delay times, as well as traffic-optimized routes to avoid traffic.
- Get traffic flow information along the individual sections of a route.
- Get possible toll costs along the individual sections of a route (Beta).
- Customizable route shapes utilizing different types of waypoints.
- Localized maneuver instructions are available for each route.
- Alternative routes.
- Optional waypoint ordering to support the travelling salesman case.
- Import routes from other APIs and vendors.
- Calculate routes offline on already cached or downloaded offline maps.
- Generate isolines to represent the area of reach from a given point based on time, distance or fuel consumption.
| Navigation || |
- Turn-by-turn navigation to get detailed maneuver instructions while traveling along a route.
- Receive guidance support even without following a predefined route (tracking).
- Offline turn-by-turn navigation and offline tracking on already cached or downloaded offline map data.
- Ready-to-use voice instructions for more than 37 languages - including support for spatial audio maneuver instructions.
- Real-time progress information until the destination is reached.
- Periodically search for better routes with less traffic while being on a trip.
- Support for adjustable speed warnings.
- Notifications when passing all relevant waypoints.
- Lane assistance.
- Support for route prefetching of map data.
- Notifications for speed and safety cameras ahead.
- Support for visual navigation including preconfigured 3D location arrow and automatic map orientation updates.
- A built-in location simulator to test any route during development phase.
- Support for GPX tracks.
The HERE SDK for iOS can seamlessly be integrated into the car’s built-in display using Apple's CarPlay.
- The HERE SDK for iOS supports iOS 12.4 and iPadOS or higher.
- Only simulators running iOS 13.0 or higher are supported.
- As an absolute minimum for development, you must use Mac OS Big Sur, Xcode 13.2.1 and Swift 5.3.2 - or higher. Note that lower versions may still work, but are not guaranteed to work.
- The accompanying example apps have been developed using Xcode 13.2.1.
- For recommended device hardware specifications, please check the section below.
- The HERE SDK supports iOS ARM64 / 64-bit architectures incorporating Apple's A7 chip or newer. This means that all iOS devices starting from the iPhone 5s (which was released in 2013) are supported as all these devices contain sufficient RAM and CPU/GPU power.
- The x86_64 and simulator-arm64 architecture is supported for simulators. Therefore, this includes M1 and non-M1 machines.
- It is recommended to allow at least 60 MB disk space for the uncompressed installation size of an app plus 256 MB to cache map data on the disk.
Where to Start?
If you are interested in building your first app showing a HERE map, have a look at our Get Started section to guide you through the first simple steps.
A quick overview of the main concepts and conventions can be found here.
- In the examples section, you can find the links to our example applications that accompany this user guide.
- The API Reference can be found in your downloaded SDK package or on developer.here.com.
- Consult the coverage page to get detailed information on supported countries and languages per feature.
- If you are planning to migrate your app from another HERE SDK edition to the Explore Edition or Navigate Edition, consult the Migration Guide.
For errors or suggestions related to this documentation, please open an issue on GitHub.
Legal and Privacy Requirements
The use of the HERE SDK for iOS is governed by the terms and conditions which you have accepted separately, either when signing up via the developer.here.com portal or otherwise executing an agreement with HERE. For your use of the documentation presented on this website, these terms apply.
In addition to the above terms, the following shall apply: Components of the HERE SDK for iOS collect certain information from your application. Such information includes access credentials (
Data privacy is of fundamental importance to HERE and our customers. We practice data minimization and don’t collect data we don’t need. And we promote pseudonymity for data subjects wherever a service does not require personal information to function. We employ privacy by design in services we develop. We strive to go beyond mere regulatory compliance and make privacy an integral part of our corporate culture. We believe that our approach to privacy is vital to earning and retaining the trust of our customers – and the bedrock of our future success as a data-driven location platform.
For more information on how data privacy is of fundamental importance to HERE and our customers, see the HERE Privacy Charter.
Open Source Software Notices
If you use the HERE SDK for iOS in your application, you must embed the HERE copyright and various open source software licenses or link to a copy hosted on your project's webspace. You can find a copy of these licenses in the HERE_NOTICE file, which is included in your HERE SDK package.