Create and Manage Alerts
Grafana lets you set up alerts and request email notifications when a condition or threshold is met. Adding a metric can be summarized by the following two sets of steps.
Create a Notification Channel
An alert in Grafana has two components—a notification channel and an alert trigger. A notification channel is defined as a way that you can be notified by Grafana, such as email.
To create a notification channel, follow these steps:
- Open the Grafana tool by clicking on Launcher > Primary Region Monitoring.
- In Grafana, click the dropdown menu in the upper left, select Alerting > Notification Channels.
- On this screen, you can create a new channel and specify the notification method by selecting the type from the drop down menu. We only support email and webhook notification types.
Create the Alert
There are two important things to keep in mind before creating an alert:
- Alerts cannot be created on the standard metrics dashboards that are supplied with HERE platform.
- Alerts can only be setup on a 'Graph' panel in a dashboard.
- Alerts & thresholds can only be seen by users which have Editor permission in Grafana
To create the alert, follow these steps:
- Create a new dashboard, use an existing one you've created, or duplicate an existing dashboard. For more information, see the Grafana Getting Started documentation
- Select a new panel of type Graph. Alerts can only be setup on Graph Panels.
- Edit the graph by clicking on the Panel Title and choosing Edit.
- Add your metric to the Metrics tab. You can find more information on how to do this in the Grafana documentation on Alerting Rules.
- Select the Alert tab to add values to the alert.
- Select Notifications on the left side menu and add your previously created notification channel.
For more information, see the Grafana User Guide.