Grafana lets you set up alerts and request email notifications when a condition or threshold is met. Adding a metric can be summarized by the following two sets of steps.
An alert in Grafana has two components—a notification channel and an alert trigger. A notification channel is defined as a way that you can be notified by Grafana, such as email.
To create a notification channel, follow these steps:
- Open the Grafana tool by clicking on Launcher > Primary Region Monitoring.
- In Grafana, click the dropdown menu in the upper left, select Alerting > Notification Channels.
- On this screen, you can create a new channel and specify the notification method by selecting the type from the drop down menu. We only support email and webhook notification types.
Note: Grafana Documentation
For more details and options, see the the Grafana Documentation on Notifications.
There are two important things to keep in mind before creating an alert:
- Alerts cannot be created on the standard metrics dashboards that are supplied with HERE platform.
- Alerts can only be setup on a 'Graph' panel in a dashboard.
- Alerts & thresholds can only be seen by users which have Editor permission in Grafana
To create the alert, follow these steps:
- Create a new dashboard, use an existing one you've created, or duplicate an existing dashboard. For more information, see the Grafana Getting Started documentation
- Select a new panel of type Graph. Alerts can only be setup on Graph Panels.
- Edit the graph by clicking on the Panel Title and choosing Edit.
- Add your metric to the Metrics tab. You can find more information on how to do this in the Grafana documentation on Alerting Rules.
- Select the Alert tab to add values to the alert.
- Select Notifications on the left side menu and add your previously created notification channel.
For more information, see the Grafana User Guide.