1. How do I evaluate HERE Location Services?
Free access is available to almost all HERE Location Services via REST, JS APIs and HERE SDKs, as well as to XYZ. Register for a Freemium plan to try most of these features for free.
2. How do I see the health status of HERE's services?
Go to the dedicated HERE System Status page.
3. Does HERE support SSL?
Yes, SSL is supported in every HERE plan at no extra charge. HTTP and HTTPS are billed the same way.
1. Which mobile SDKs are available from HERE?
HERE offers you the
- HERE SDK to integrate location features (e.g. mapping, routing, navigation, geocoding, search) into your apps with online/offline capabilities, beautiful pre-built UIs and personalization options, and
- Live Sense SDK Beta, powered by AI, enabling apps and devices to detect real-time hazards and road signs to help drivers make informed decisions.
2. What's the difference between the Lite and Premium Editions of the HERE SDK?
The Lite Edition provides a quick way to integrate location features into applications built for devices with limited ROM capabilities and rendering needs. The Premium Edition provides everything found in the Lite Edition, plus access to offline capabilities and other location features such as navigation for cars, trucks and pedestrians; electronic horizon, toll cost calculation, advanced data sets like speed limits, inclines, curvature, and more.
For a side-by-side comparison, go to the HERE SDKs page.
3. Can I still use the HERE SDK (Starter Edition)?
The HERE SDK (Starter Edition) is deprecated, please use the HERE SDK (Lite Edition) instead for a lightweight version of our SDK.
Older versions of the Starter Edition documentation can be found on the versions page.
4. What's a "namespace" and why do I need to create one when generating credentials for the HERE SDK?
A namespace represents:
- Bundle ID on iOS: a reverse-domain, name-style string defined in Xcode that uniquely identifies an Application Bundle on a device or simulator
- Application ID on Android: Java package name
The iOS bundle ID and Android application ID are the same, although there are some small differences in the format. They are both used to identify the app, are embedded in the app package and follow the convention of using the reverse Internet domain name format for both (com.test.my). The HERE SDK encodes these in the license key and at runtime compares the value from the license key with the value from the app manifest. This means that you can only run the SDK with the app it was registered for and cannot reuse the license key for another app. The term we use to refer to either of these in the context of the SDK is "namespace."
1. Is there technical support? If so, which kind of support is provided?
Specific questions on the use of HERE Maps APIs and SDKs and XYZ can be asked on Stack Overflow. The HERE Maps team actively monitors and responds to programming questions asked there regarding these APIs and SDKs. We encourage all developers to share their knowledge by answering and asking questions in the here-api tag. For more information, see: Stack Overflow Tour and How to ask a good question on Stack Overflow.
Customers with a paid plan can view dedicated support contact information by logging in and going to the Project Details page of any given project, which can be accessed from the Projects page.
Extended technical support options are also available via our Gold and Platinum support plans.
2. Tell me more about how I can use the HERE Dev Slack workspace
Can I ask my technical questions via Slack?
Yes you can. However, it is worth noting that our Slack is not staffed 24/7 and this might cause some delays in getting a reply.
How do I join HERE Dev Slack workspace?
You can join by visiting http://t.her.is/slack.
How do I identify dedicated HERE people on Slack?
HERE people make sure they have “HERE” in their display name on Slack.
What are the HERE Slack Community guidelines?
- Be respectful
- Do not post content exceeding a PG-13 Rating.
- Be relevant
- Use common sense: If you think something might have been asked before, check use the search to find previous questions on the topic.
3. I think I have discovered a bug. How do I report it?
The HERE Maps API stack overflow channel allows developers to determine if an issue has already been identified/reported and is currently being worked on by the HERE Maps team. If you cannot find information about an issue there, you may report a new bug report by emailing us at email@example.com.
We at HERE encourage all developers to provide as much detail as possible on each bug/issue identified, including:
- Screenshots or other images
- Hardware: DESKTOP | MOBILE | BOTH <target hardware(s)>
- OS Version: WIN | MAC O/S | IPAD | IPHONE <operating system(s) the bug appeared on>
- Browser and Version: IE | FIREFOX | CHROME | SAFARI <browser(s) the bug appeared on>
- Steps to reproduce: (example code | instructions) <code, instructions - even when the behavior does not occur every time or has only occurred once>
- Actual Results: (current output) <what has happened>
- Expected behavior: <what was expected to have happened>
- Other details: <anything else that is relevant to the incident>
4. How do I performance test on HERE Location Services?
Customers may contact us to request a dedicated performance testing environment to meet their needs. You may not performance test against our Customer Integration Testing (CIT) or Production environments.
5. Is it possible to track the usage that my app is generating?
Yes. After logging in, select 'Projects', then select the project for which you would like to view usage. On the 'Project Details' page, select 'View Usage Details'.
6. Is it possible to track the usage for my XYZ activities?
Yes. After logging in to Studio, select 'Projects', then select the project for which you would like to view usage. On the 'Project Details' page, select 'View Usage Details'.
7. Why can't I see usage for my app in the Usage Details section of my Project Details page?
It can take around 48 hours for usage data to be available on this page.
Licensing & Terms
1. What licensing options are available for the HERE APIs and SDKs?
Two licensing options are available on developer.here.com:
- Freemium – Free access for both commercial and non-commercial websites for HERE Location Services with a limit of 250,000 platform Transactions, 5,000 SDK Monthly Active Users and 250 Assets per month.
- Pro – Paid access for both commercial and non-commercial websites with a limit of 1 million platform Transactions, 5,000 SDK Monthly Active Users and 250 Assets per month. It includes an SLA and email support.
For both of the above, HERE XYZ is included with 2.5GB Data transfer and 5GB Database storage per month.
See the pricing page for more information about licensing options.
To license HERE services for apps with more than 250 Assets or 5,000 Monthly Active User, or ADAS (advanced driver-assistance systems) apps, please contact us.
There is a maximum of one Freemium account that can be upgraded to Pro according to your needs.
2. What is a Transaction?
For most of our services, a Transaction is one server request. For map, satellite and traffic tiles, it's 15 requests. Exceptions and detailed definitions are available in the Payment and Subscription FAQ.
3. What is a Monthly Active User (MAU)?
A Monthly Active User (MAU) represents an active customer app installation on a device that uses the HERE SDK in a given billing month. If you have more than 5,000 monthly active users (MAUs) for your application, contact us for a plan tailored to your needs.
4. What is an Asset?
An Asset is a person (including an end user), animal, device, cargo, means of transportation, vehicle or any other object which is
- Located, tracked or displayed on a map, or
- Provided route calculations or orders of destinations and/or routes, or
- Has analytics derived by using the HERE Materials in a customer application or service for business purposes.
For example, HERE services are often used to help logistics providers manage vehicles in a fleet or a field workforce. If you manage 250 or fewer Assets, the Freemium and Pro plans will support your app. Contact us to license applications that manage more than 250 Assets.
5. What is HERE XYZ Database storage?
XYZ Database storage is data stored by the HERE XYZ service.
6. What is an HERE XYZ Data transfer?
XYZ Data transfer means the movement of all data to or from the HERE XYZ service.
7. When do HERE Location Services limits apply to my Freemium or Pro plan?
The Transaction limit always applies.
The MAU limit applies when you use our HERE SDK. If, for example, you exceed 250,000 Transactions per month but still have fewer than 5,000 Monthly Active Users on an app using the HERE SDK, you'll be charged for the usage above 250,000 Transactions.
The Asset limit applies if you manage Assets using HERE services. As with the MAU limits, the Transaction limit and the Asset limit both apply. For example, if you exceed 250,000 Transactions in a month but manage fewer than 250 Assets, you'll be charged for the usage above 250,000 Transactions.
8. What other HERE Location Services limits apply to my Freemium or Pro plan?
The following features are excluded. Please contact us if you are interested in one or more of these:
- Electronic Horizon in the HERE SDK (Premium Edition)
- Tracking REST API. For a free trial, go to https://tracking.here.com and select "Try our app".
- Advertising Data Services
- Large-Scale Matrix Routing
- Live Sense SDK Beta
For Freemium plans only, the following limits apply:
- Custom Locations: you may upload a maximum of 3 layers with a maximum of 100 polygons or polylines.
- Waypoints Sequence: up to 10 requests per day.
- Advanced Data Sets: up to 100 requests per hour and 1,000 per day.
Storing results from geocodes is not allowed for Location Services products in our Freemium and Pro plans. Please contact us for a plan that supports storing results from geocodes.
Access to HERE Location Services hosted in China is excluded. Freemium and Pro licenses include coverage of China as specified in the Coverage Information section of the API documentation, which is usually at "Entry Map" level. To access HERE Location Services hosted in China, please contact us.
9. When do HERE XYZ limits apply to my Freemium or Pro plan?
The Database storage and Data transfer limits are included as part of the monthly plan. You may continue using XYZ, but you'll be charged for usage exceeding 2.5GB Data transfer or 5GB Database storage.
10. What are the terms and conditions for your licensing options?
11. What's your Service Level Agreement (SLA)?
Our SLA is 99.9% monthly availability for these APIs in production:
- Fleet Telematics
- HERE SDK (server components)
This SLA comes with all our paid plans. This includes the Freemium plan when paying for use over 250,000 Transactions per month, the Pro plan and some Enterprise plans.
We do not offer an SLA (Service Level Agreement) for Batch Geocoder, HERE XYZ or Live Sense SDK Beta.
12. Can I display results from the HERE Location Services APIs on other maps, eg, restaurants returned by the HERE Places API on a Google map?
To preserve the quality and integrity of the HERE user experience, commingling results from HERE Location Services APIs with maps from other providers isn't allowed. Commingling refers to substituting, appending or supplementing HERE services or content with other services or content or vice-versa.
13. Can I integrate HERE RESTful web services with Leaflet?
Yes, you can also use Oracle MapViewer and OpenLayers
14. Can I display results from HERE Location Services independent of an underlying map, eg, return a list of restaurants from the Places API as text that is not a map?
Yes, you may display results from HERE Location Services independent of an underlying map or other imagery.
15. I run a website/app that makes money by providing additional premium content to subscribers. Can I use the Freemium plan in this case?
16. I will make money with my mobile app by selling it through an app store or other transactions. Can I use the Freemium plan in this case?
17. I'm a third-party developer who wants to build several apps/websites for different customers. Can I use the same app_id?
No. Each application for each customer needs a separate app_id. To get an additional app_id, simply repeat the sign up process for the appropriate plan.
API Access Control
1. How do you control access to HERE Location Services?
HERE supports three types of app credentials.
1) Most HERE Location Services APIs use two random strings, App ID and App Code, to provide secure access to services. A combination of these two random strings identifies users and applications and enables usage to be tracked.
- App ID uniquely identifies your application
- App Code is used in the authentication process to identify a session
- API Key uniquely identifies your application and is used in the authentication process to identify a session. Up to two API Keys may be created.
3) HERE Advertising Data Services provides access control via OAuth 2.0 (JSON Web Tokens), utilizing a combination of random strings, Access Key ID and Access Key Secret. Up to two Access Key IDs may be created.
For greater protection, you can associate specific domains, referrers or host names with app credentials on the Project Details page of any given project, which can be accessed from the Projects page.
2. How can I create a domain whitelist for my app credentials?
Make sure to enter any subdomains (up to twenty) to account for your Application's different environments, ie. "example.com", "www.example.com" and "m.example.com". Please note that your credentials will only be valid for requests to HERE Location Services from the specified domains. Your credentials are licensed for use in a single Application. If you need to add more domains, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Products that support protection by domain whitelisting are:
- Fleet Telematics: Custom Locations, Custom Routes, Advanced Data Sets, Route Matching, Toll Costs, Waypoints Sequence, Fleet Connectivity.
- Geocoder API (except Batch Geocoding and Geocoder Autocomplete)
- Intermodal Routng API
- Map Feedback API
- Map Image API
- Positioning API
- Routing API
- Traffic API
- Transit API
- Venue Maps API
3. How do I generate an app_id and app_code for my application?
First, register for a plan. When your project has been set up, you'll have the option to generate App IDs and App codes for HERE Location Services REST APIs and SDKs.
4. Can I share an app_id or app_code with other applications?
No, each application you develop requires a separate App ID and App Code.
6. How do I generate OAuth 2.0 (JSON Web Tokens) credentials for my application using Advertising Data Services?
After purchasing a plan, when your project has been set up, go to the project details page. You have the option to generate the App ID with Access Key ID and Access Key Secret needed to generate token(s).
7. How do I use app credentials once generated?
Please follow the documentation of the product you want to use in the section "Acquiring Credentials" (Location Services REST APIs and XYZ) or "Authenticating Applications" (HERE SDK).
Payment and Subscription
1. What is the billing period for monthly subscriptions?
Accounts follow an anniversary cycle based on the date you registered for your first plan. Any subsequent subscriptions you sign up for will also be billed based on that date.
2. How can I upgrade my Freemium plan?
Upgrades from Freemium to Pro take effect immediately upon payment.
Please note that once you have upgraded your Freemium to Pro, another Freemium may not be created.
3. How can I downgrade my Pro plan?
If you have one Pro plan, you can downgrade your plan anytime on the Project Details page.
Downgrades take effect at the end of the current billing period. Any price difference arising from a plan downgrade can't be refunded.
If you have more than one Pro plan, you cannot downgrade before cancelling the other Pro plans.
4. How do I cancel my plan?
You can cancel your plan anytime. Sign in and select 'Projects' from the dropdown menu under your username. Next, select the project you want to cancel. On the Project Details page, select 'Cancel Project'.
Cancellations take effect at the end of the current billing cycle. Plan fees cannot be refunded.
5. How do I reactivate a cancelled plan?
You may reactivate a cancelled Freemium as long as there is no other active Freemium or Pro plan on this account.
You may reactivate a cancelled Pro plan as long as there is no other active Freemium plans on this account.
You can reactivate a plan on the Project Details page. Sign in and select 'Projects' from the dropdown menu under your username. Next, select the project you want to reactivate. On the Project Details page, select ‘Reactivate Project'.
Re-activations take effect immediately.
6. How do I update my payment information?
You can change your billing details anytime in the Billing Management section available from the dropdown menu under your username.
7. How can I access my invoices?
All invoices are sent by email and available to download from the Billing Management section available from the dropdown menu under your username.
8. What payment methods can I use?
You can use Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Maestro or PayPal, depending on your billing country. US and Canadian customers can also pay with Discover card.
9. What currencies can I use to make a payment?
You will be billed in Euros if your billing address is in a country in the EMEA region. Otherwise you will be billed in US dollars. Your card provider may charge an exchange fee.
10. Who do I contact about billing questions?
For any billing support questions, please email us at email@example.com. We do our best to reply within one business day.
Note that customers with paid plans may access the HERE Support portal to log issues directly. Go to your 'Project Details' page for the link.
11. How are HERE Location Services transactions counted?
Transaction means one Request for all HERE services features, except as follows:
|2D map tiles, satellite tiles, or traffic tiles||One Transaction is counted for every 15 Requests|
|Batch Geocoding or multi-reverse Geocoding||One Transaction is counted for each individual Geocode or reverse Geocode Result|
|Matrix routing||One Transaction is counted for each start point Request|
|Large-Scale Matrix Routing||One Transaction is counted for every 20 Elements in a Large-Scale Matrix Routing API Request. The number of Elements equals the number of start points times the number of destination points. Large-Scale Matrix Routing Requests generating less than 100,000 individual elements are always counted as 5,000 Transactions.|
|Fleet Telematics Custom Locations||One Transaction is counted for each location, points of interest, polygon or finding a POI along a route in a Request|
|Venue models||One Transaction is counted for each JSON model returned|
|Fleet Telematics Custom Routes||One Transaction is counted for each routing Request|
|Intermodal Park and Ride||One Transaction is counted for each returned alternative Intermodal Route(s) set by the Customer for the intermodal_max parameter in the API request. If the system determines that there are no available Park and Ride routes, the Request is still counted as one Transaction|
|Fleet Telematics||One Transaction is counted for each individual Service feature included in a Request.|
|Vector Tiles||One Transaction is counted for every 5 Requests.|
12. What happens if I exceed limits on my Freemium plan?
If you exceed the Location Services 250,000 Transactions or XYZ 2.5GB Data transfer or 5GB Database storage included for free in the Freemium plan, you'll receive an email telling you to add payment details to your account. You'll have some "wiggle room" above your limits to help ensure your access is not unintentionally shut down. However, it's possible to exceed the threshold, including "wiggle room", which would result in account deactivation, even before we can notify you.
To keep your account active if you exceed the limits, add your payment details anytime on the Billing Management page, which you'll find under your username at the top right of the screen, provided you're signed in.
You'll receive an invoice for the extra usage as follows:
- For Transactions, pay $1/1€ per 1,000 Transactions.
- For Data transfer, pay $1/1€ per additional 100MB
- For Database storage, pay $3/3€ per additional 5GB
13. What happens if I exceed limits on my Pro plan?
If you exceed the Location Services 1 Million Transactions or XYZ 2.5GB Data transfer or 5GB Database storage included in your Pro plan, you'll be charged for the usage and receive an email asking you to get in touch so we can discuss changing you to a plan that better suits your needs.
On your invoice, extra usage will be charged as follows:
- For Transactions, pay $1/1€ per 1,000 Transactions.
- For Data transfer, pay $1/1€ per additional 100MB
- For Database storage, pay $3/3€ per additional 5GB
14. Will my HERE Location Services paid plan give me access to all extra features in all countries?
Generally speaking, yes. Visit our HERE Location Services Coverage Information page to find out more.
15. How can I buy access to HERE products that aren't available via the Freemium or Pro plans?
Please contact us to talk about this.